Success Intelligence : Attitudes to Success
For each of us, how successful we feel will depend upon our attitude toward success. Similarly, our motivation to achieve will be determined largely by our attitude. Equally the amount of success we achieve and the amount of success we do not achieve, will be determined in large parts by our attitude to success.
Our attitude to success is part of our Success Intelligence. Recognising our attitudes and changing them can often be a way of achieving greater success. Recognising and understanding our attitudes toward success is a way of improving our Success Intelligence. It is also a way of helping to overcome some of the 'blocks' that inhibit our path to success.
Your Attitude to Success So What is Your Attitude to Success? To find out, read the following few paragraphs and select the one that most closely matches your own opinion, experience or viewpoint.
1) I will achieve success only if I really deserve it. In order to deserve my success I must make sure that I never make a mistake or slip up, I must always give that little bit extra, I must win the approval of other people, I must gain qualifications.
2) Success only comes through effort and hard work. If I am not achieving success it is because I am not putting in enough effort. More effort should bring more success. If my efforts are not working then I need to try even harder.
3) No pain, no gain. Success will only come after some amount of loss or pain on my part. Life is never easy and success can only be achieved if you are prepared to overcome obstacles, set backs and misfortune.
4) Success always has its price. There is no such thing as a free lunch and success can only be achieved by successful negotiation or dealing.
5) Success always involves some form of sacrifice or compromise. You have to be prepared to sacrifice your money or your time or your social life or your relationship or your health for the success you seek. Each level of success requires greater sacrifice.
6) Success means never accepting second best. Only perfection, quality and coming first can achieve success. Failure is not an option. I have to win or get things right first time.
7) Success is only real success if you achieve it yourself. Having the help of others is 'cheating' and diminishes the value of success. I must become self-sufficient to be successful in any meaningful way.
From these statements, you can see that different people have quite different attitudes to success. These attitudes not only determine the way(s) in which they approach success and achieving it but also the obstacles that block their path to success.
Douglas Woods is a qualified life coach, teacher and counsellor. You can read more about his work on his website http://www.dougwoods.com. There is more on attitude to success at attitudes-to-success.
Warning: fopen(http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-22,GGLG:en&q=Success&output=rss) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Network is unreachable in /srv/disk5/44101/www/success.atwebpages.com/inc/rss.inc on line 81
could not open XML input